September 21, 2018

The Town of Morehead City experienced a discharge of approximately 10,000 gallons of partially treated wastewater from the Town’s Waste Water Treatment Plant located at  Treatment Plant Rd. The discharge occurred from September 16, 2018 at 12:00PM until September 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM. The partially treated wastewater entered Calico Creek of the White Oak River Basin. The by-pass of wastewater occurred at the WWTP tertiary filter system.

This notice was required by North Carolina General Statutes, Article 21, Chapter 143.215C. If you have any questions, please contact the Public Services Department for the Town of MoreheadCity at (252) 726-6848.


Welcome to the Public Utilities Department

The Morehead Water and Sewer Department provides water and sewer utility services to approximately 5,500 customers. The minimum water and sewer bill is currently $37.66 per month for the first 2,000 gallons of water. Rates for consumption after the minimum of 2,000 gallons is provided below. The drinking water is tested each day for quality and meets all state and federal requirements. Basic Information on a 3/4″ Meter, for Larger Metes, please contact the Public Utilities Department at 252.726.6848 for Rates.

  • WATER CONSUMPTION 0-2,000 Gallons (Monthly) $17.29 | All over 2,000 Gallons $8.65 (per 1000 gals.)
  • SEWER CONSUMPTION 0-2,000 Gallons (Monthly) $20.37 | All over 2,000 Gallons $10.19 (per 1000 gals.)
  • SOLID WASTE 0-1 Roll Out Cart $19.50/month

Water Quality Reports

Each year, the Town of Morehead City publishes an annual Water Quality Report that gives the public a snapshot of how the water compares to standards set by regulatory agencies.


The Town of Morehead gets its water supply from five wells and the daily water use for Morehead City is approximately 1,000,000 gallons per day. Find out more about the water system.

Sign-Up for the MHC Portal

Quick Links

After Hours Emergencies

If you are having an emergency outside of the Town of Morehead City’s business hours, please contact the Carteret County Communication Center at (252) 726-1911.

Types of After Hours Emergencies:

  • Water leak that requires water to be shut off
  • No water pressure
  • A sewer stoppage, leak or malfunction
  • Sewer odor in your home