Finance Department | Frequently Asked Questions

Opening new utilities service. What do I do/need?

An application for new service is needed with the required deposit/service fee and a valid picture id. Types of acceptable id’s are: valid driver’s license, state identification card, military id, passport, Alien Registration, Government/University/recognized Corporate Id, Card or Certificate of Naturalization.

Our application can be downloaded HERE, faxed to you or picked up at our office.

If a new customer is not available to come to the Water Department in person we will accept faxed, emailed or mailed applications along with the required deposit/service fee and copy of a valid id. The new customer must appear in person in our office within seven (7) business days of the application date to verify their identity. Failure to do so will result in disconnection of service.

User Deposits

All applicants for city water shall make a deposit to secure payment for water service.

Residential and commercial shops with three-quarter-inch meters shall provide a minimum deposit of $100.00, plus a $30.00 Service Fee. The individual in whose name the deposit is made shall be responsible for payment of all bills incurred with the services furnished. The deposit receipt is non-transferable and is not negotiable. The receipt may only be redeemed at the water department office. When services are disconnected, and all bills are paid, the remaining portion of the deposit will be refunded.

I’m moving and need to close my current service.

Per our town ordinance it is required that all disconnect requests be submitted in writing. Those that come to the Water Department will need to fill out the back of their application requesting the disconnect. Others can fax or email their requests to us (click here for disconnect form).

We will need the following to process the request:

  • Current service address, utility account number if known
  • Customer Name
  • Last four digits of the customer’s social security number
  • Date of disconnection
  • Forwarding mailing address (for final bill or refund of deposit)
  • Customer Signature
  • Date of Request

I need to transfer my current service to a different service address.

We do not accept verbal requests to transfer service from one location to another. The customer must come to the Water Department or fax/email the transfer request (click here for transfer form). Any account carrying a balance will not be transferred until the balance is paid off in full. Also, a transfer fee is charged and can be added to the first billing at the new location. We will only keep both locations with service over period of time, such as a weekend (e.g. turn on service at new location of Friday and turn off service at previous location on Monday).

My tenants skipped out and left a mess. I need water to clean up.

We do allow temporary service for 30 days and will extend this an additional 30 days if needed. Please call our office to find out the procedures and fees for this service.

How do I become a vendor?

In order to become a vendor with the Town of Morehead City, a W-9 must be completed and submitted. When applicable, evidence of workman’s compensation coverage will also be required. If you have any questions, please contact Dana Green.

How do I receive authorization for a purchase or service?

The Town requires a purchase order for all purchases or service. If work is completed or merchandise shipped without a purchase order number, it is considered unauthorized. Any unauthorized transaction is subject to the Town declining payment. The purchase order is issued by finance to each department and the contact person in the department is responsible for getting the information to the vendor.

How do I submit a W-9?

If you have any questions, contact anyone in accounts payable. It can be emailed, faxed or mailed to you. You can also CLICK HERE to download and print.

We can receive the completed form in the same manner, or you can scan and upload the form to us in the Documents & Forms area.

How do I submit workman’s compensation insurance?

Contact your insurance carrier to add the Town of Morehead City as certificate holder. The address needed is 706 Arendell St, Morehead City, NC 28557. Your insurance carrier can email, fax or mail the certificate.

How do I submit an invoice?

An invoice must be received in finance 10 days prior to the check issuance date. If can be emailed, faxed or mailed.

When will my check be available?

Generally, checks are available after 4:00 pm on the date of issuance. Vendors are paid on the 10th of the month. If the 10th of the month falls on a weekend or holiday, the check will then be issued on the following business day.

How can I find out if I have been issued a check?

Contact accounts payable.

When will I receive my 1099?

In compliance with the Internal Revenue Service, 1099 forms will be mailed to vendors on or before January 31st.

How can I pay my taxes?

Payments can be made via online banking, credit/debit card (through Official Payments only), by mail, drop box and in person.

Can I make prepayments towards future taxes?

Anyone can make payments towards future taxes that will become due. In order to post the payments correctly we must know that they are for future taxes and all current taxes must be paid in full. Payment arrangements are allowed and encouraged to be set up as soon as the tax notice is received (in July or August). For the past few years payment arrangement forms have been sent with the tax notices to assist property owners with this option. Beginning the payment plan immediately upon receipt of the tax notice saves the property owner money by eliminating/reducing any interest or penalties that will accrue on the balance owing. If a property owners waits until after the taxes become delinquent to make a payment arrangement they must come to the Tax Office and sign an agreement. No verbal payment arrangements are made. The property owner is required to make a down payment on the taxes owing at the time the arrangement is made.

What happens if the taxes become delinquent?

If the taxes become delinquent and no payment arrangement is in place with our office collection action begins. Second notices are mailed after the delinquency date (January 6th) to advise property owners of delinquent taxes owing even to those with payment arrangements (our software cannot separate those with an arrangement and those that do not). Per N.C.G.S. 105-368 a tax collector may attach wages and other compensation, rents, bank deposits, the proceeds of property subject to levy or any other intangible personal property, including property held in the Escheat Fund. Also N.C.G.S. Chapter 105A allows for property owner’s state income tax refund or lottery winnings to be attached and garnished. If there are no intangible assets to be found and the tax remains unpaid information is turned over to the city attorney to begin foreclosure proceedings.

What can I do if I feel the tax bill is incorrect?

The first step is to contact the Carteret County Tax Office at 252-728-8535 since they do the assessing of all property in the county. Any corrections made there should be forwarded to our office to correct/adjust the Morehead City tax.

Does the Carteret County Tax Office bill & collect for the Town of MHC?

No. The county tax office assesses all property in the county and forwards the information to us for billing and collecting purposes.

Does the MHC Tax Office bill & collect for motor vehicles?

Only for unregistered motor vehicles which are classified as personal property. The Carteret County Tax Office bills and collects for Morehead City on registered motor vehicles and remits the funds to us. Questions concerning registered motor vehicle taxes should be directed to the Carteret County Tax Office at 252-728-8535. 

What time period do the tax bills cover?

Value, ownership, taxable status, and situs of real and personal property are determined for the new fiscal year at Jan 1st.

Are tax bills required to be mailed? If so, when?

North Carolina General Statutes (N.C.G.S.) does not require that any type of property tax bill be prepared or distributed to taxpayers. To increase collections we mail bills in July or August.

When are the tax bills due?

All taxes in North Carolina are due September 1st.

Does the Town offer a discount for early payment?

Yes. Currently the Town offers a 2% discount if taxes are paid/received by August 31st. Per N.C.G.S. (105-360(d)) payments made by mail are considered received by the tax office on the postmark date. If the payment has no postmark or the postmark does not contain a date, then the payment is considered received when it actually arrives in the tax office.

When do the taxes become delinquent?

If the tax remains unpaid at January 6th they are considered delinquent and 2% interest applies. Interest continues to accrue at ¾% each month until paid in full.