Build Responsibly

Before you build or develop in Morehead City, contact the Planning and Inspections Department at 252-726-6848, ext. 125 to discuss requirements & advice in more detail.

  • Floodplain development permits are issued by the Planning and Inspections Department to build a structure or otherwise develop on a property located within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).
  • Morehead City requires all buildings in the SFHA be elevated with their lowest floor, including basement, at least one foot (1’) above the base flood elevation (BFE).
  • The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) requires a structure that is damaged or improved (renovation or addition) by an amount of fifty percent (50%) or more of the structure's current market value, the entire structure must meet construction requirements for a new building.
  • Morehead City's Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance can be viewed online.

Contact the Planning & Inspections Department by calling 252-726-6848 ext. 125 or by emailing to:

  • Report any Illegal floodplain development

  • Learn more about potential Pre- & Post-Flood financial assistance opportunities for property protection measures