Planning & Inspections

Culinary Building ConstructionThe Morehead City Planning and Inspection Department performs administrative, technical, and professional work in coordinating planning and building inspection activities. The Department's hours of operation are 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

Planning Division

The Planning Division reviews new development proposals, conducts research, proposes draft ordinances, processes annexation requests, and coordinates grant requests and growth management issues. Administration of the Unified Development Ordinance [a compilation of all land use regulations, including the zoning ordinance and the subdivision regulations] is under its purview as is upkeep of the City's computerized mapping system. The Planning Division also coordinates all activity and requests for the Planning Board.

Code Enforcement Division

The Code Enforcement Division reviews applications for permits, performs zoning inspections, investigates and processes complaints, and coordinates activity and requests for the Board of Adjustment.

Building Inspections Division

The Building Inspections Division is responsible for all activities relating to building construction. This includes review of construction plans, issuance of building permits, administration of minimum housing codes, demolitions, and condemnations.

Join One of our Boards

There are currently four seats on the Morehead City Planning Board that will expire on August 15, 2021 and one in-City seat open on the Morehead City Board of Adjustment. The first three Planning are in-City seats and the fourth is an extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) seat.  

Individuals interested in serving on the Planning Board or Board of Adjustment as an in-City member are required to complete a Citizen Participation application. Applications may be obtained from City Clerk Cathy Campbell at (252) 726-6848 x139 or by clicking HERE.  

For extra-territorial jurisdiction seats, a Carteret County application is required and a City application is encouraged. This is because extra-territorial members are appointed by the County Commissioners. Historically, the City Council made recommendations to the Carteret County Commissioners for ETJ appointments. The contact for that application is County Clerk Rachel Hammer at (252) 728-8450 x8002.

Forms & Documents